Saturday, July 16

Cafe Korea - Fishers, Indiana

Whimsical plate settings

What is it about Korean food that I love - can't get enough of? Let me count the ways...tender marinated DYI BBQ? Hot/Spicy/Sweet at all the same time? Their metal chopsticks? Maybe. But something about the combination of sundubu, Korean seafood pancakes, and naengmyeon (or to my Korean friends 냉면) on a hot day that just hits the spot. 

With all that being said you can share my despair when I found there were no good Korean restaurants in Indianapolis. I see you guys around, I KNOW you're here, so where's the food?? Don't get me wrong Mama's is ok as it's one of the only two restaurants in all of Indy that has Korean BBQ (but it's old, overpriced, and quite honestly grimy). 

But where else can I get my Korean food fix? Thanks to my friend and now roommate who introduced me to Cafe Korea. A restaurant ran by a local family from Korea with about 30 years of experience in the restaurant business (17 years in Korea and 10 in the US). Although they previously had more restaurants in Indiana - they sold the rest and kept Cafe Korea to improve on their main goal: fresh and healthy ingredients; authentic enough to be Korean but "American" enough to not scare away first time patrons.


The original Korean pancake with one twist: Mama Hong puts mozzarella on top to add an extra creamy decadence.

Side dishes with each meal are homemade including their sauces and kimchi which means no MSG or pre-made bagged spices  

Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap - made just right with extra crispy rice on the bottom of the stone bowl. Great lunch size and price (I wish there were more meat though)

My experience at Cafe Korea left me thinking, "why didn't I discover this earlier"? Their lunch portions are reasonably priced (although think Korean food - it's always a tad more expensive than Chinese takeout) and their meat was marinated and tender even without a private grill. This restaurant is cared for like a home; modernly decorated, cozy, with a bar that reminded me of Ikea display showcase. My server Li gave good recommendations and chatted with me like a friend instead of a patron (oh and she's from North Carolina ;).


Thank you to Eunice, who answered all of my questions and to everyone at Cafe Korea~ For more information on their Fishers location, menu, and hours please visit Cafe Korea's website.